Lara’s Tartufo al Cioccolato—Chocolate Truffles
Yield: 24 truffles with a #100 disher scoop
Make sure all of the ingredients are room temperature or the truffle paste will curdle.
5 oz/150g semi-sweet chocolate (50-60%), in small pieces
3-1/2 oz/105g butter, room temperature
1 tbsp/15 mL espresso powder, diluted in 1 tbs hot water
1 large egg yolk, room temperature
1 tbsp/15 mL whole milk, room temperature
3 oz/90 g finely chopped hazelnuts
1/4 cup/50 mL unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp/5 mL ground cinnamon
1. On top of a double boiler with rippling water underneath, melt chocolate fully. Add butter in small pieces, stirring until smooth. Add egg yolk and milk. Stirring until smooth.
2. Off of the heat, fold in hazelnuts. Pour into a shallow dish to firm up in the refrigerator, about 1 hour.
3. On a plate, blend cocoa powder and cinnamon together. Set aside.
4. Using a #100 disher scoop, roll the mixture into balls. Place on a tray and place back into the refrigerator until firm, about 20 minutes.
5. Coat balls with the cocoa powder/cinnamon mixture. Place in small candy cups and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.